CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

18 February 2009

Such a Pretty Fat

I recently read the second memoir of Jen Lancaster, author of Bitter is the New Black. It's an awesome read for any woman who has struggled with her weight. It's very real, but hysterically funny.

Essentially, it seems that Ms. Lancaster is a woman who is very comfortable in her own skin, no matter how much fat she has. She is confident and has a lot of attitude. In many ways, she is admirable. She is strong, she speaks her mind, she gets what she wants. But she does tend to piss a lot of people off in the process.

If you haven't read her stuff, I suggest you go out and get it. You'll laugh your ass off. And maybe even come to some healthy realizations about your own body.

For instance, I have great boobs and a great butt. I wouldn't really want to do anything to lose them. So I don't want to be skinny. Aside from the fact that my emotional turmoil over the last few weeks has kept me from eating much of anything at all...but I'm working on that.

I've also decided that what I need most is to exercise. I think I'll feel better if I can just develop some kind of routine. I have arthritis in my hips (thanks 14 years of dance!), so running isn't really an option. I like classes, but I don't want to spend the money on a gym membership. I'm also pretty sure that my downstairs neighbors don't actually want to listen to me sweat it out to my hip-hop DVDs.

Truly, it's a conundrum. Plus, I don't want to lose my boobs. Fortunately, they rarely go anywhere. I'm healthy and I look good. I'm not skinny, I'm curvy. It's okay to like my fat, right?

3 comments:

Jane Dough said...

I want to be skinny. Anorexic skinny. Too bad I like food too much.

txsand said...

If you are happy with the way you look then everyone else should be too! I think too much is made of "thin" today and I too believe women should have "curves"!

shine said...

Eh, I'm hot stuff. Nuff said. :)