CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

02 November 2009

Is it just me?

So the big hullabaloo on the (sports talk) radio station I listen to this morning was...the Dallas Cowboys cheerleader who dressed as Li'l Wayne for Halloween.

The controversy is this: She's a little white girl with blonde hair. And she dressed up as Li'l Wayne for Halloween. In order to accomplish this, she used dark makeup to darken her skin. BECAUSE SHE WAS TRYING TO BE LI'L WAYNE. Who, ya know, isn't white.

For reference, here's her picture, both as a cheerleader and as Li'l Wayne, and a picture of Li'l Wayne:





Now this poor girl is being labeled as a racist and being disciplined by the Dallas Cowboys cheerleading Nazi, Kelly what's-her-name. For her HALLOWEEN COSTUME.

Look, if she had dressed up as a person of color being hung by a noose from a tree? That's incredibly offensive. But to dress up as a famous rapper? I'd say that's complimentary. Maybe she was being offensive about it at the party she attended, I don't know.

However, not that I'm watching the fourth season of Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders: Making the Team, because that would just be silly, Kelly what's-her-name just nearly cut someone on the last episode because she was "looking a little chunky." Which means that normally girls "her size" weigh 112 pounds and she weighs 123. So she really needs to cut that down if she expects to make the squad.

You know what I find offensive? THAT.

19 comments:

Kell said...

That's why I don't watch that show. It's ridiculous, and seriously? I'm sure you could count on your hands the amount of people that watch football for the cheerleaders. And they probably won't be singling out that one girl who looks 5lbs bigger than the rest.

M said...

I haven't heard anything about this, but I agree that it's totally ridiculous. I mean, she probably could have used better judgment, but I think that's true of most women on Halloween.

Also? I've lost a litte (ok, a lot) of respect for you now that I know you watch that show. Ew.

Alice said...

THIS is a problem? but i guarantee you if she had gone completely ass-naked with just body paint - even if the body paint was, like, the star of david on each nipple - THAT would have been fine. and non-offensive. WHATEVER.

Jay Ferris said...

I'm with Alice on this one; offended by how someone so hot could so blindly go against this nation's tradition of hot girls dressing as slutty as possible on Halloween.

Moooooog35 said...

I like Alice's suggestion for this chicks' costume for next year.

Snarke said...

Every day the news gives us a reason to think "wow, people will look for ANY reason to freak out!"

I wonder how long it will take for Al Sharpton to get involved... (too snarky? Oh well!)

Ed said...

It is Texas, after all.

Besides, why would anybody want to dress up like Webster with dreads is beyond me.

Phronk said...

You're racist just for mentioning the word "race."

But seriously, I agree. I think the way to eliminate racism is to acknowledge differences but not give a shit about them. Freaking out about a Halloween costume is giving a shit about them.

Kristen said...

true story: i ran into her and a couple of the other cheerleaders at the po-dunk charleston, wv airport a couple of months ago. let me tell you, she's nothing to write home about herself. and that loud, screeching voice? not pleasant at 6 am.

Meg Kathleen said...

I just give her credit for not being a Sexy Lil Wayne. She should be rewarded.

Anonymous said...

yikes, i dunno girl. i see your point, but something about blackface just screams TOO SOON to me.

Suburban Sweetheart said...

I'm sort of with ohhayitskk. Like... YOU DIDN'T KNOW YOU WERE GONNA GET RAGGED ON FOR BLACKFACE? Come on. That's just A THING. You still can't do that, dawg. Black people have never gone in whiteface; white people should just not go in blackface.

jenniferalaine said...

my school is so freaking politically correct -- i'm used to things like this. guaranteed that if lil wayne had dressed up as a white cheerleader for halloween no one would have blinked.

justjp said...

Not offensive and here is why: Lil' Wayne would be proud that he had that much influence over a cheerleader. Come on, if he wasn't in jail, he'd be trying to hit that.

Mandy said...

i was at a halloween party and a black girl dressed up as little bo peep... who is white... it was fucking hilarious.

and her costume rocks. looks like she was most likely the scariest person there. i think the problem is just that she wasn't dressed like a turbo-slutpuppy.

Tony said...

I wonder if it would be offensive if Marion Barber dressed up as Dave Matthews?

alexa @clevelandsaplum said...

well this is just obnoxious!

i hope she gets a reality show out of this. hhaa

Dmbosstone said...

Blackface will always cause trouble with someone- in high school we did a play where two actors had to do that and we had no problems, but we thought someone would.

Johnny Virgil said...

Remember this?